Monday, January 25, 2010

Technology Eventually Fails

Something I learned being born in a technology fiending generation is that technology isn’t meant to last forever. Computers, video game consoles, cell phones, iPods, etc. will all eventually wear down and stop working. Things over time will need replaced. For instance my Xbox 360 just recently stopped working.


I came to realize my Xbox wasn’t acting correctly about three months ago and it gradually got worse up until it now doesn’t function at all. It started with the console running slower. Controls and the response time took longer and longer upon start up. So as the console gradually kept getting worse and worse, I kept trying to do things that would possibly prevent it from burning out completely. Such as blowing dust out of the cooling fans and controller openings and wire hookups. This did make things run a little smoother, but only temporarily.

So around four days ago I went to turn my Xbox on and it wouldn’t do anything. It was finally broke. It wouldn’t read movies or games and things took outrageously long to load. So hoping someone might know the problem with the Xbox, I went to Best Buy to have it looked at. Come to find out from some techies from Geek Squad, the disc drive burned up. The disc drive is the device inside the Xbox that reads and plays the content on the console. I was also informed that this happened due to the amount of usage I played the Xbox. In other words I played too much.

Regrettably even though I found the problem with it, Geek Squad told me that they couldn’t do anything to fix it. They said that I would have to go through Microsoft to get it repaired. After learning all this information I went home with the Xbox and proceeded to contact Microsoft support. I eventually got in contact with someone from Microsoft and they walked me through on how to get my Xbox repaired. It was an online process that took an about 45 minutes to do. I had to answer questions about my problem and financial information. Such as serial numbers, addresses, phone numbers, etc. Once I completed the tasks and entered in credit card information, I was emailed a UPS shipping label. My Xbox is going to be sent to a place in Texas to be repaired. The emailed also notified me saying that it would be about two to three weeks before I would get my Xbox 360 back.

Since my Xbox was out of warranty the repair is going to cost $106.99. This is, I guess better than having to buy a whole new Xbox, but still is a setback financially. I am currently excited about getting the problem fixed and can’t wait to get it back fully functional.

2 comments:

  1. That really sucks! I thankfully haven't had any troubles with my xbox yet and its the Halo 3 edition one. But something that I figured out lately is that I will not buy anything from best buy unless I have to because every time I go there something goes wrong and gets messed up and it becomes a huge hassle and I just end up returning the item and buying it somewhere else

    ReplyDelete